[ale] Find IP-address from MAC address

Jay Loden jloden at toughguy.net
Tue Sep 6 00:06:19 EDT 2005

I realize I'm a bit slow in replying here, but I just worked with one of these
at my workplace. It was a DeviceMaster but it's the same type of device. I
had exactly the same problem - I had no idea what the IP was and I had to
configure it.

What I ended up doing (and, as it turns out, it's was the only way to
configure certain aspects of the device) was using the serial to RJ45
connector cable that came with the DeviceMaster to hook it up to a machine
and connect directly with SecureCRT.

I don't know what tools you have at your disposal, or how similar the N-Port
and DeviceMaster are.  In my case, it was finicky...you had to type the
commands at the exact right time during startup and so on just to get logged
into the system correctly, etc.

If you can in any way get connected to the thing via serial as Christopher
suggested, I'd try it that way, then configure the IP or get the address
through the serial connection.

-Jay