[ale] Refill ink cartridge, go to jail!!

Brian Hartsfield krandor1 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 22:53:31 EDT 2005

On 9/5/05, Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net> wrote:

> Brian Hartsfield wrote:
>
> > What is somebody is absent-minded (like myself) and simply forgets to
> send
> > the thing back? Have I now broken the law?
>
> As laws go, in general, yes. If you're driving down the road and you
> forget the speed limit is 45 and you're caught doing 65, you will get a
> ticket.

My problem with that is that normal rebates are based on the assumption that
most people will not take the time to send it in. Now you make a "prebate"
and the same assumption has to apply - that most people are not going to
send it in. So what is the point? To sue people who don't follow
instructions to the letter or just the people who refill? The example is not
a good analogy since if you are driving it is easy to control you speed.
Here, you are forcing people to go out of their way to do something (mail a
cartridge back) which is not part of their normal routine. A better car
anology would be telling people if they are out of gas they cannot stop
anywhere but have to come to station X to refuel even if that is out of
their way.

I still don't like this prebate thing at all.