[ale] TB in an external firewire drive

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Sep 1 15:27:53 EDT 2005

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Geoffrey wrote:

> Robert L. Harris wrote:
> >
> > 5MB?
> >
> > C64 with an external 5.25" and a TAPE.  I remember getting REAL excited
> > when I could re-notch it and double the storage.  Then the 3.5" drives
> > let us REALLY up the storage on the BBS.
> >
> > Before that was a sinclair but that didn't "really" have external
> > storage, just the carts.
>
> Okay you bunch of old farts, how many of you ever USED a slide rule?
> Required for my entry into EE at Lousiana Tech U...

<waving hand> Used a slide rule though the first quarter of PChem, except
for quant (quantitative analysis). There we needed to use log tables and
an electronic adding machine in order to retain sufficient sigfigs</waving
hand>

First machine I owned was H89, 64kb ram, and 100kb hard sectored floppy
(well, actually originally tape, but that was painful even then). Two
years later, I had the opportunity to work (very part time) on a PDP-44,
which included 2.5MB disk drives- which were a full 12 inches across. I'm
not sure you want to consider those hard disks or not, the platters were
removable, and weighed a bunch. My first personal hard disk of the modern
form was 20MB, at just over $700.

If you think Education is expensive
Try Ignorance
                   Author Unknown