[ale] can the gnu compiler be installed on a [ro] system running from CD ?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 12:57:47 EST 2005

On 10/31/05, Courtney Thomas <cc.thomas at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Greg,
>
> Thank you for the reply.
>
> You are correct that Suee instantiates a ramdisk supported by the CD.
>
> But, for example, when I attempt to
>
>         rpm -ivh <whatever>
>
> I get
>
>         error:  cannot open <whatever> with db3:        Read Only file system (30)
>
> I'm, perhaps wrongly, assuming that rpm is trying to use the CD filesystem to
> install the <whatever>.rpm and needs to write to a filesystem that happens to
> be on the CD.
>
> I'd be pleased to be informed otherwise  :-)
>
> Cordially,
> Courtney

Interesting

I just booted the SuSE 9.2 LiveCD.  (I had one handy).

After login "mount" shows / as (rw) read/write.

I can create files and folders in /root, /etc, /var, and /tmp.

I modified /etc/motd.  I then logged in on a different virtual
terminal, the new motd was displayed.

Thus I was partially right.

I tried to create files and folders in /usr, that failed so I was
wrong about that.

I'm not expert with rpm, but is there anyway to tell it to install
packages somewhere besides /usr ?

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer