[ale] OT: Erasing a toasted drive

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Fri Oct 28 07:57:17 EDT 2005

When I worked for the Air Force, we bought a degausser that took up half
a tabletop and had trays and adapters molded for all kinds of media.
The tray would spin and move sideways underneath a hood for a minute or
so.  I don't know what manner of alternating mag field this thing made,
but it took 208VAC.

It beat taking 14" platters to be sandblasted.