[ale] OT: Erasing a toasted drive

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Oct 28 07:59:46 EDT 2005

Warren Myers wrote:
> You could schedule an MRI and take it with you :)
>
> How crashed is the drive? I've found that I've sometimes been able to load a
> drive using a live CD and reformat it, at least partially.

reformatting it is not going to remove much of anything on the drive.
Granted, it's unlikely anyone at Dell is going to do much more then
attempt to boot the thing, but you just don't know where that drive will
go.  In reality, overwriting the drive a number of times is the
solution, but likely not available for this door stop.

I would try to boot from a cd and attempt to fdisk, reformat and then
rewrite the drive.  If it's totally toast, no luck, but if you can fdisk
the drive and start writing stuff to it, leave it over night and see how
far it goes.  Do the bad block check when you format it.  That could
well take over night or longer.  All depends on how paranoid you are.

If it was me, I'd likely replace the drive with a similar one, as long
as it didn't void the warranty.  Seriously, it depends on the data
that's on there, but you don't want anyone getting your source. Problem
is, that might void the warranty, thus you're stuck with simply trying
to write to the drive.

Is the warranty void if you replace the drive yourself?  If not, tell
them the other drive went bad and find you another bad drive to stick in
there.  I've got a 20gig laptop drive that's toast, I'll send it to you
if you want to go that route.  Seriously, let me know.

> First, find a whopping-big magnet ...

This is likely a better solution then a simple format.

--
Until later, Geoffrey