[ale] Changing screen orientation in X?

Randy Ramsdell rramsdell at adelphia.net
Fri Oct 28 00:31:14 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 21:21 -0400, Grant Robertson wrote:
> I got a really good deal on a Dell 1901FP, 19 inch CRT @ 1280x1024.
> I've used it for a bit as a TV, and then decided that it was much
> better served as my primary interface to life itself, my monitor. I
> have no idea why I didn't do this sooner.
>
> Now, I've realized that you can rotate this monitor into a 1024x1280
> full page display, but I'm not sure if the display hardware can do
> this. Can X flip it's orientation?
>
> I really hope so, this would be so very cool. :)
>
> -G
>
> --
> F. Grant Robertson
> m: 404.388.9797
> e: me at grantrobertson.com
> w: http://grantrobertson.com/

Probably most new Nvidia cards will do this. If you use Nvidia's drivers
and set the option in xorg.conf, the program "nvidia-settings" has an
option for screen rotation.

Xorg.conf device section:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "NVIDIA"
        BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT"
        Option      "RandRRotation"
EndSection

'Option "RandRRotation"' <--- this is what enables rotation which you
probably figured out.

After doing this, restart X, run "nvidia-settings" from console and
finally select "rotation settings"

Randy Ramsdell