[ale] SuSE, digiKam, ports, and permissions

Mills, John M. Mills.J at ems-t.com
Mon Oct 17 10:26:20 EDT 2005

ALErs -

Thanks to Christopher Fowler for pointing me at /dev/ttyUSB0 for my
"Cables Unlimited" USB/serial adapter.

The device was found and works, despite the manufacturer's pro-forma "We
don't support Linux" response. In order to use it on SuSE-9.3 with
digiKam, I did the following awkward process:

1. Plug in adapter
2. Become 'su'
3. Move aside /dev/ttyS30 (because it's among the ports digiKam checks
for serial cameras)
4. Soft-link /dev/ttyUSB0 as /dev/ttyS30
5. Change permissions on /dev/ttyUSB0 to 'a+r,a+w,a+x'
6. Exit 'su'

Then I was able to reach the camera.

Unfortunately the next time I booted my laptop, I had to repeat the port
redefinition, since the /dev/tty* branches seemed to have been recreated
on boot.

Questions:

1. Can I configure 'digiKam' to look check a particular port (here:
/dev/ttyUSB0) for a digital camera?

2. Can I set 'sticky' permissions on a particular port to default as I
need them:
 'a+r,a+w,a+x'?

I could put my manual hack in rc.local, but that seems like "gettin' to
my ear by way of my elbow"!

TIA.

 - Mills