[ale] How LDAP works with authentication

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Thu Oct 13 11:24:58 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 18:14 -0400, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> Correct.  We have a customer with many users.  They claim to use LDAP to
> store all their user records.  When a user logs into Winbloze that
> desktop authenticates via LDAP.
>
> What I want to do is to allow our device to authenticate in the same
> manner using the same records.  I do not want to have to create a
> special format that will force them to keep double entries of all users.

When your customer says their windows boxes are authenticating via LDAP,
do they really mean that they are logging into a windows domain that
uses Microsoft Active Directory services?  From what little I've seen,
AD has an LDAP interface.  For example, here's something on changing a
password:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=269190

If you are in fact needing to authenticate with a windows domain, then
you probably need to be looking at how samba does this.  In particular,
you might want to study their windbind daemon.

http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-
Collection/winbind.html#id2633297

--Joe