[ale] Sync a Palm Tungsten T5 with Linux - Update

Nathan J. Underwood ale1 at cybertechcafe.net
Wed Oct 12 19:38:11 EDT 2005

Ok, new plan.  After much hemming and hawing, and much trying to get the
USB option to work while looking at my bluetooth adapter, I've decided
to use bluetooth instead.  Believe it or not I've gotten *MUCH* further,
but I'm still having some trouble.  Here's what's happend thus far:

Tried the USB route, wrote the udev rules, read the udev docs, but just
didn't seem to get it.  Ended up hosing up the OS (it was a bit quirky
anyway, I'm not too impressed with FC4 x86_64 at this point).  So, I
decided to start from scratch, and loaded FC3 x86 back on the box.  It
seems to be a lot happier now.

On to the Palm -> bluetooth.  It's worth noting here that I'm not trying
it with the Tungsten T5 anymore.  I had a Treo 650 given to me, so I'm
using that now.  I've got the desktop and the treo paired (thanks to the
article on linuxjournal.com and gurulabs), but I can't seem to get
sync.  I'm using XFCE and Evolution with gnome-pilot.  I've also tried
it with kpilot and jpilot with the same results.  My sync app is setup
to use /dev/rfcomm0.  When I start the sync app, the palm does it's beep
thing (sees the connection), and the sync app tells me to press
hotsync.  I wait for the connection dialog to go away on the palm and
click on the 'hotsync' button on the screen, but I get an error stating :

"Unable to initiate HotSync operation because the port is in use by
another application"

Here's what hcidump reports:

[nathan at l64-wks ~]$ hcidump
HCIDump - HCI packet analyzer ver 1.11
device: hci0 snap_len: 1028 filter: 0xffffffff
 > HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
 > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 10
 > HCI Event: Connect Complete (0x03) plen 11
 > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 6
 > HCI Event: Disconn Complete (0x05) plen 4
 > HCI Event: Connect Request (0x04) plen 10
 > HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
 > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 10
 > HCI Event: Connect Complete (0x03) plen 11
 > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 6
 > HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
 > HCI Event: Disconn Complete (0x05) plen 4

Here are the permissions on /dev/rfcomm0:
crw-rw-rw-  1 nathan root 216, 0 Oct  8 18:07 rfcomm0

Anyone actually got this working?  Got any ideas on what I'm missing?