[ale] Enterprise Linux's

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Oct 11 13:15:19 EDT 2005

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, Geoffrey wrote:
>

>>tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:
>>

>>>As an unfair challenge, try taking a sheet of paper and pencil and
>>>indicating the approximate location of each US state and the state capital
>>>from memory. Extra points if you can add the same information of
>>>either/both Mexico or Canada. (I just realized that sounds like a modestly
>>>fun challenge - I may have to test myself one of these days.)
>>>

>>Memorization is not a measure of intelligence.  I couldn't do the above,
>>but I can solve a relatively complex differential equation.
>

> Is it allowed to agree and disagree at the same time? I agree that
> memorization is _not_ a measure of intelligence, and I didn't imply that
> it was. I may have implied that massed geographic knowledge is necessary
> for modern life, or something to that effect, for which I am in error.
>
> Where I appear to disagree is on the value of geographic knowledge in the
> context of human relations. Knowing that Montana is next to the Canadian
> border, with a capital (and major city) of Helena isn't a skill like
> solving a differiential equation, but is useful in social situations where
> I want to connect with another human being's background. Putting names on
> places and arrainging them spatially one of several ways to organize and
> help remember people's backgrounds. The applications to travel and
> communications related with that subject should be obvious also.

To some extent, I agree.  For example, I could pretty much place every
state in this country in correct general location.  Knowing that
Columbus is the capital of Ohio, is however of little use to most people
these days.

> As noted elsewhere, there are, and always have been, people without a clue
> is to the name of the location where they live. This doesn't mean they are
> stupid, or completely uneducated. I am going to suspect such individuals
> fund of general information however.

If I've mistaken the intent of your posting, then I really don't know
what it was.

The bottom line, I'll take wisdom over knowledge every time.

--
Until later, Geoffrey