[ale] Is this a brain transplant or a heart transplant?

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Tue Oct 11 16:20:34 EDT 2005

Scott Denlinger <sbd at u.arizona.edu> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm running Debian testing, and my processor recently died. I used this as an
> opportunity to upgrade my processor and system board, and now I need to figure
> out how to use my old hard drives, which contain a perfectly functional Debian
> system, with my new board and processor.

What were the old and new processor? If they're not totally different
(eg AMD vs Intel), or if your old kernel was built without processor-
specific optimizations, you can probably just boot the old system on
the new hardware, no worries.  The kernel might not detect some of
the hardware on the motherboard, but all the basic stuff -- disks,
video, networking -- should be fine.

Cheers,

-- J Knapka