[ale] Seeking ways to getting around spyware on Windows

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Mon Oct 10 11:06:26 EDT 2005

>But of course.  Of course, if you look at the history of the WinNT (the
>predecessor to WinXP) dev team I think you will see quite a bit of
>development skills and methodologies, etc.  Just because they all work
>for the same company doesn't mean they all do bad work.  Even with
>Linux, you have to use a firewall or other means to control traffic and
>viruses.  Btw, would you trust Linus and only Linus to write your Linux
>AV and firewall?
>
>-Jim P.

I call non sequitur. :)

Especially in the case of the Linux firewall, I have a solid, non-opaque
choice (iptables) that I can interface with at a very explicit level.
Is there a Windows analogue (I ask because I honestly don't know; all I
know of are opaque choices)?

And as for trusting Linus, my whole point would be that I would prefer
to not be *constrained* to a Linus solution because I'd prefer to not
have his software acting as overseer to his software.

As for "my" Linux AV, it seems to me that Linux AV for the most part is
looking for and stopping Windows viruses and only minimally Linux viruses.

Jeff