[ale] Laptop Security Trick

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun Oct 9 11:48:35 EDT 2005

Robert L. Harris wrote:

> Very nice.  I'll be doing this today.

It is a nice implementation.  I'll likely take a similar approach.  Just
slapping a picture of me up on the splash screen might scare the folks
into returning the laptop. :)

Back when dial up was the thing, I had my laptop running a boot script
called 'phone home.'  It would look for an active phone line connection
and call my number.  It would also look for an active network connection
and send traceroute and other network data to my email address.

Of course it didn't do any good if someone trashed the OS, but that was
a pretty difficult thing to do by your common thief.

--
Until later, Geoffrey