[ale] OT: dealing w/comcast

Sid Lane jakes.dad at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 15:06:50 EDT 2005

does anyone know any secret #s, names, URL, voodoo rituals, etc. to bypass
the subclueless level 1 "techs" at comcast?

we had intermittent packet loss this morning which my wife called in (she
works from home) then handed the phone to me (3 more min and I'd have been
gone!). I told her ("tech") I was getting 50% packet loss to the dhcp
assigned gateway to which she replied "try pinging yahoo". after trying to
explain that yahoo probably doesn't allow icmp (not sure but wouldn't assume
not) and even if the do we already know the problem is at or "south" of the
gateway she insisted so I played along. I told her I got a resolution
failure to which she replied "try running a traceroute to yahoo". I tried
asking her what she expected to learn from that since DNS was failing but
she was determined to stick to the script so I dutifully ran it knowing good
and well what the result would be. she then told me to "turn off your
firewall - we can't ping you" (can't ping ME? WTF does that have to do
w/anything? to be fair, I have no idea how to do that on windoze but she
wouldn't even pretend to help me until I rebooted into it) at which poing I
had had enough and said I would call back later (hoping for someone less
clueless; more so certainly isn't possible).

anyway, does anyknow know the "secret handshake" to get escalated to someone
who knows what they're doing?