[ale] Free Opera goes Ad Free

aaron aaron at pd.org
Fri Oct 7 08:59:57 EDT 2005

I thought it worth sharing here that the cross-platform Opera web browser has
gone _totally_ Free, including ADVERT FREE,  with their latest 8.50 release.
While the ad banner on the previous free versions was fairly unobtrusive, it
is still nice to have the ads disappear altogether and reclaim the screen
realestate for browsing.

Though the program isn't open source, Opera has always been very active in
supporting the Linux platform.  Since ~version 7, their feature set for Linux
has been identical to their offerings for more commercial platforms, and
their download page lists package choices for at least 60 Linux distro /
release version combinations.

I have developed a slight preference for Opera over Mozilla / Firefox,
especially in the areas of more functional features, more customizable
interfacing, more "skin" choices and having a ZOOM capability for page
rendering (: which becomes increasingly handy for folks with aging eyes :). I
almost never catch a page these days that Opera won't properly render, and
recent updates have improved Javascript functionality so that Opera works
great with all the latest "AJAX" based web service offerings like Gmail and
Maps.Google.

Based on my long time usage of the Opera browsers on various platforms, I can
highly recommend checking out the Cost Free, Ad Free, Opera 8.50 at
<http://www.opera.com>

peace
aaron