[ale] Why doesn't any OS see my memory?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 12:23:37 EDT 2005

On 10/7/05, Michael Hirsch <mdhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/6/05, Drag0n <dragon at atlantacon.org> wrote:
> > Does the motherboard see it in the Bios? If so, then it's something to
> > do with the OS's, if not, it could be incompatable ram, and old bios
> > update, hardware limitations.
>
>  BIOS sees it fine, it's only(!) in Windows, Linux, and FreeBDS that see
> ~3.5 gig.
>
>  Michael

Out of curiosity, what version of Windows?

I know most Windows versions have a 4 GB limit to ram access (or maybe
the limit is 3.5 GB??).  Maybe all of the above have a similar
threshold and you have not got the various kernels configured to get
past that limit.

For Windows 2003 Server you have to have the Enterprise Edition ($3500
IIRC) to see past the 4GB point (or is it the 3.5 GB point?).

Greg