[ale] Bash Scripting: How to pass "yes" + carriage return?

Michael Still stillwaxin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 08:33:44 EST 2005

Maybe a better idea is to rename the old directory to something else
before running the export command again and then deleting it later.
What happens if you have a system failure during this backup process?

On 11/11/05, Ryan Fish <FishR at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> I am in need of figuring out how to pass a "yes" followed by a carriage
> return via a bash script so a backup process can run successfully each day.
>

> The script does the following:
>

> 1) ssh to RaQ server as root
>
> 2) run cmuExport
>
> 3) copies contents of export to NAS device
>

> Since cmuExport has been run before a prompt stating the directory the file
> is written to already exists, do I want to overwrite is returned.  The only
> way to get past this point is to enter "y" then press ENTER at the prompt.
> This is what I am attempting to automate.
>

> Thank you for any help offered!
>

> -Ryan

[stillwaxin at gmail.com ~]$ cat .signature
cat: .signature: No such file or directory
[stillwaxin at gmail.com ~]$