[ale] Need Tractor Feed Dot Matrix printer

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Fri May 27 11:46:42 EDT 2005

On Fri, 27 May 2005, Mark Wright wrote:

<<snip>>
> I think anyone that used or owned an XT should qualify.
<<snip>>

I'm not sure XT use/ownership should qualify as "old fart" status,  partly
because I disagree with common wisdom about how much change there has been
in computing since that time on a fundamental level (Which is not to deny
frantic engineering changes, many of them to the good.) Introducing the
'386 processor and the 68000 which gave better hardware protection of
memory areas from rogue programs probably was fundamental, but the idea
had been around for perhaps 20 years at that time on other archetectures.

First machine I owned, I built. Heathkit H89 with two Z80 processors, one
as the computer, the other running the terminal. Ran CP/M. Also ran HDOS,
which I wish I'd payed to play with, as it had dynamically loaded device
drivers and some other pretty neat concepts. I think MP/M was also
available, but memory fades. Also built the first XT clone I owned, a
H-150 which wound up with 1.5 meg RAM (It tickled me to beat the alledged
640k ram barrier which never existed from MS - it was a hardware limit
imposed by IBM and ignored by all of the early competetors)

By the time I was getting started, Unix was already almost a decade old if
memory/fingers serve. Of course, Unix was for the big boys, since it ran
on true 16 bit machines, not my puny little 8 bit machines. Then, somehow,
when I got into the 8/16 bit world of the XT, Unix was for 32 bit
machines... And cost a bundle also. I was able to run Unix for a while in
'86-'87 on a Fortune 68000 based machine, but I was not in a position to
make good use/learning on it at the time.

But somehow, much as I enjoyed my Heathkits, I cann't feel "old fart"
status while some relatives are still around. My uncle's "first computer"
is supposed to be in a museum in europe, although he didn't stay in the
field after that. And one of the cousins worked on something called drum
memory - which meant if I recall correctly, the machine had 4k or main
memory implemented on a spinning drum. Supposedly shook the building when
running.

A graduate school friend had the pleasure of working on vacumn tube
machines while serving in the navy, but I was told that was partially an
effort to see how long they could keep that machine running rather than
actually modern equipment.

I've babbled enough, but I do appreciate the use of your bandwidth.