[ale] IPv6 for the Linksys WRT54G

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Thu May 26 19:58:10 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 18:27 -0400, Randal Jarrett (K4RSJ) wrote:
> >From /.
>
> Hardware: IPv6 for the Linksys WRT54G
>

> Posted by CowboyNeal on Thursday May 26, @06:01PM
> from the wishful-thinking dept.
> AndersBrownworth writes "Earthlink Research and Development has released
> a firmware load for the Linksys WRT54G wireless access point that
> supports end-to-end IPv6. They suggest features such as extremely large
> address space, stateless autoconfiguration and low cost restoration of
> end-to-end addressability will revolutionize IP communications. It would
> be interesting if releases like this significantly boost the IPv6
> take-up rate but as far as I know, Earthlink doesn't supply end-to-end
> IPv6 yet."

	I've know about this for a couple of weeks.  We've had some discussion
over it in the North American v6 Task Force (NAv6TF).  It's actually
somewhat of a snoozer.  OpenWRT and Sveasoft have had IPv6 for some time
now.  I think there are a couple others as well.  Friend of mine, Gene
Cronk of NAv6TF and IPv6Forum, has been working on some versions.

	What's different about this is that the Earthlink firmware has a built
in tunnel configuration to link you back to one of their tunnel anchors
in their R&D area.  Plus it's based on the LinkSys base firmware (which
is Linux based - source available).

	As of right now, there are a number of convenient sources for Global
IPv6 and IPv6 allocations...

Native:

	Sprint
		You've got to really dig for the info, though, and it may be tunneled.

	MCI

	Verio
		$300 a month add on

Tunneled (all free, including OCCAID):

	Sprint

	Hurricane Electric
		6over4 (no NAT) - North America and Australia
		Free /64 on registration.
		Free /48 available on request
		R/O BGP available
		NO IRC!
		NO anonymous tunnels

	FreeNet6
		tsp - North America
		NAT friendly
		Free /48
		Anonymous tunnels available
		Anonymous tunnels tracked by IPv4 endpoint

	SixXS
		aiccu/ayiya - Europe - very limited for North America
		NAT friendly
		(you have to ask nice).
		Curious "points" system for access and privs
		Points awarded for tunnel up-time
		/48 available with enough points
		No anonymous

	OCCAID
		High speed only, colo preferred.
		BGP4+ peering for single gateway tunnels or give them access to your
FreeBSD box and you become a part of their multigateway cloud with
nearest gateway best effort routing to the IPv6 backbone.
		IRC available
		No anonymous tunnels
		AUP prohibiting most maloderous activities (spam, botnets, IRC
zombies, etc, etc...)

	I'm currently have accounts with Hurricane Electric, FreeNet6, and
SixXS and can speak highly of all three.  I just found out about OCCAID
a couple of weeks ago and I'm getting ready to set up a peering
connection with them.  Haven't found out if I can get that Sprint to
provide IPv6 to my Sprint cellphone yet (and I'm not sure they would
appreciate me asking).

	Mike
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/