[ale] Sunday 05-22-05 6PM RUN-AS-ROOT CHALLENGE

ChangingLINKS.com groups at changinglinks.com
Thu May 19 16:28:42 EDT 2005

> You are "putting yourself out" to be a friggin' idiot, to be blunt about
> it.
> Jonathan

OK. Please prove that I am an idiot by taking me up on the challenge.

In the paragraph below, you make assumptions about my system, techniques and
thought process.

My goal is NOT to prove simply that I have a good recovery system. My goal is
to prove that other features can be implemented to secure the OS regardless
of running as root.

In THIS challenge, I give away root password AND IP address.

Do you have that information now?

No. Because I have not given it to you yet. The point there is that your
statement that I "give up all security" is true for the challenge, but NOT
true for my daily use method. Heck, I am even turning off several firewalls
and physically changing the setup of the computer - just to help you out.
Remember, I will be removing features that I currently use. OK?

That is why I chose to remove some personal data. I realize that I will be
letting you all the way IN the box and giving you virtually complete control
over it - I want to protect my data from YOU in *these* circumstances.
With my daily method, I keep the data on the box.

I MAY not be the best or the brightest system administrator on this list, but
nonetheless, I feel that I have a system that can laugh off the concerns you
have posed.

I am beginning to doubt that anyone will take me up on the challenge.

After all, if you perceive me as an "idiot", how will you view yourself when
the machine that is run by an idiot hands you your ass?

/Expecting excuses.
--
Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
Drew Brown