[ale] IP Aliasing (please help!)

Ryan Fish FishR at bellsouth.net
Wed May 18 18:09:01 EDT 2005

Hello all,

I am in need of temporarily setting up IP Aliasing on a web server to allow
traffic from IPs on two different subnets of the same class C to be answered
by this one server.  My problem lies in not knowing how or where to add the
second Default Gateway and Network ID.  I figure the Network ID would just
be setup in ifcfg-eth1:N though.

I am attempting to find this info on Google but have been unsuccessful so
far.

Subnet one

Network ID = xxx.xxx.242.192

Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.224

Default Gateway = xxx.xxx.242.193

Available IPs = xxx.xxx.242.195 - xxx.xxx.242.222

Subnet two

Network ID = xxx.xxx.242.224

Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.224

Default Gateway = xxx.xxx.242.195 (not sure how this can be though since it
is listed as a usable IP above)

Available IPs = xxx.xxx.242.225 - xxx.xxx.242.254

Thank you for your assistance.

-Ryan