[ale] Linux Distributions

ChangingLINKS.com groups at changinglinks.com
Wed May 18 12:30:52 EDT 2005

On Wednesday May 18 2005 07:44, George Carless wrote:
> > > Look at it this way:  The ALE archives are full of wrong assumptions,
> > > incorrect "fixes" and every now and then some truth.
> > >
> > > -Jim P.
> >
> > BINGO!!!
>
> To say "BINGO" a lot is not to make a point.
>
> Would you care to elaborate on *how* your system is configured such that
> you don't consider running as root to be a risk?  If you have this
> achieved, it would surely be a community service to enlighten the rest of
> us as to how you've done it - even just a few pointers would be nice.
>
> --George

You are correct. To say "bingo" only hightlights a point that has already been
made. It is not to make a motion, rather to second it.

I see HERE you and a couple other people are beginning to ask HOW I run as
root safely. The "never-run-as-root" crowd didn't care about that prior to
taking their position. Moreover, they go on and on and on and on about how no
one should ever ever ever run as root.

All the time, Jim P. is saying "you're making assumptions, you're blind, that
issue is easily resolved." Enlighten those that are passionately blind? How?

I fully intended to explain my position - but then saw an opportunity to
create a challenge and WIN the thing I originally wanted: Help fixing my box.

As I mentioned before, at the sound of Debian people typically turn away -
moreover, I have been working on these problems for months and I'm weary.

Delaying the pointers you request does two things:
1. Hopefully it teaches the knee-jerk admins to be less so.
2. It allows me time to win the challenge AND win a fully working box.
3. It allows the never-run-as-root crowd time to post all of their objections.
--
Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
Drew Brown