[ale] Linux Distributions

ChangingLINKS.com groups at ChangingLINKS.com
Wed May 18 05:23:16 EDT 2005

On Wednesday May 18 2005 00:06, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > Seriously though, if it is so elementary you should be able to explain
> > it in irrefutable detail.
> >
> > Assuming that I am the only user, the PC is a laptop, and is used on
> > various networks (dial, hotspot, wired), and only to read email, surf
> > the web, and ssh/telnet into other systems.
> >
> > Where is the vulnerability/risk/danger?
> >
> > (remember, you said it was elementary ;-)
>
> Spread. Of. Malware.
>
> Easier. To. Break. Into.
>
> You. Are. Not. Perfect.
>
> That sounds elementary enough to me.
>
> I really hope that you're my age or younger, because you sure sound like
> it.

I run as root all of the time, and with my system:

You cannot spread malware effectively.
I have several firewalls setup and other security features.
I realize that I am not perfect, so my system allows for my fumble fingers.
I would casually bet $20 that my system is more secure than yours is.

And yet, ironically your entire position seems centered on security.

It all seems "elementary" to you, but as Jim has pointed out several times,
you overlook MANY solutions WHILE celebrating to the problems you pose.
Fortunately, Linux is better than you make it out to be.

The problem here is that your thinking is very limited. You can only see your
system in your house, which apparently cannot prevent these problems.
It really sounds like your system sucks. I suggest you never run as root. ;)
--
Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
Drew Brown