[ale] Linux Distributions

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Wed May 18 03:23:25 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 23:46 -0400, Jonathan Rickman wrote:
> On 5/17/05, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Currently XP and Win2K have a much more powerful user permissions
> > strategy.  If anything UNIX could gain from Windows in this area.  How
> > many users or groups can you give access to your /etc/clearcase
> > directory?  What if you already have NIS+ groups for devel, users and
> > admins and you don't want to re-create another group with all those
> > users in it?  ;-)
>
> On this point, you are 100% correct. However, 90% of the advantage
> provided by the fine grained ACLs in Windows are negated by running as
> Administrator. There. Now we can argue about whether or not it is a
> good idea to run as Administrator on Windows for a few more posts,
> then declare the thread off-topic and drop it.
>
> --
> Jonathan "not buying the BS MRTG htaccess explanation" Rickman

What could you possibly not believe about that being a standard HTTP
authentication prompt?  It's .htaccess and .htpasswd, nothing more
nothing less.  The page it protects is an admin/status page that
contains some MRTG graphs and other status (server-status, mod_thottle,
sendmail, etc) info.  Here's what it looks like:
http://jimpop.net/stuff/2005-05-08-network-flap.png
(no, the incremental backup is working, just not updating the timestamp)

-Jim P.