[ale] Linux Distributions

Jerald Sheets jsheets at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 15:14:26 EDT 2005

> What's the difference between "sudo mkfs /dev/hda8" and runing
> "mkfs /dev/hda8" as root?

Jim, it's not different in effect, but the practice of having a layer
of security between you and any command run is a good one.

You as well as I know that sudo has a wildcard access you can add to
a user.  The  fact  that there's a shim between your email app and
running programs as root and between your browser and running as root
is very sensible, don't you think?

I spend maybe 5 minutes installing and configuring sudo for my user,
and that's it.  How is this a burden on your configuration again?  I
can do everything I need to do as the root user through sudo with a
single entry sudo configuration line.  I think that the
conffiguration argument is a non-issue.

Jerald M. Sheets jr.
Sr. UNIX Systems Administrator
McKesson, Inc.