[ale] Linux Distributions

George Carless kafka at antichri.st
Tue May 17 14:34:00 EDT 2005

> > This is just asking for trouble.
>
> HOW SO?   Everyone says this, nobody every follows through with
> specifics.

Because if you are running as root, then so are the applications that
you are running, which means that you need to trust not only what you
are doing yourself, but also what all of those applications are doing.
And, whether by accident or by design, those applications might not be
doing what you think they are doing, and when they have unrestricted
access to the system then there is the risk of total, catastrophic
issues.

> > Unless you're going to spend the time with a fine-tooth comb
> > to audit every piece of software that you run,
>
> No need to audit software that you trust.  The fine tooth comb is needed
> to set EVERYTHING up for a normal user to have access to gratuitous
> system resources needed by everyday apps (iPODs, dvd burners, video
> games, advanced sound card features (midi, etc).

First, I've not generally found that it IS necessary to open much up for
a 'normal user': most things--in fact, more things than you might
expect--can easily be coaxed to run as a regular user.  And second, the
practical reality seems to be that people will generally "trust" a great
deal more than they should, in the name of convenience.  Which is all
well and good, but this kind of approach will seriously impact the
security of your machine, etc. etc.  Let's say that you're browsing the
Web, as root, and your "trusted" Web browser has bugs in it.  Let's say
that some malicious person manipulates those bugs to wipe out your files
- result as a regular user: nothing too bad.  Results as root: oh-oh.

--George
George Carless ... kafka at antichri.st
Words are just dust in deserts of sound