[ale] Miracles can happen! Really!

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Tue May 10 20:19:37 EDT 2005

Some background data:
For several years my wife and I have maintained a second
phone line (ringers turned off/ always answered by a machine)
solely for the use of her mother and her caregivers.
Several weeks ago her mother died in her sleep at the nursing
home in Gaithersburg, Md. We went up to Maryland and dealt with the
usual things. When we got back to Atlanta, we called Bell South
and asked to have the second line disconnected.
Sunday night the line went dead. Sometime around 9 am Monday
(that's yesterday) our DSL connection died. Turns out that the DSL
line had been connected to the second line!
Oops!
Along about two o'clock I finally figured out what had happened
and worked with tech support at Speakeasy to start the process
(working through Covad) to get our DSL connection moved to the
remaining line.

By 10 am this morning the link light on the DSL bridge box had
turned on and we were back on line. That's less than 20 hours.
When was the last time Bell South did ANYTHING in less than 20
hours?

I'm still stunned.

Sean