[ale] Anyone installed Linux on Fry's "Great Quality" laptops ?

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Sat May 7 13:52:56 EDT 2005

On 5/6/05, Mills, John M. <Mills.J at ems-t.com> wrote:
> ALErs -
>
> Sorry for the HTML ...
>
> The list[sic &8-)] price is $999, but Fry's seems to "lead" with it for
> $599.99 most weeks:
>  http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4387765#detailed

I bought their $599 HP laptop a few weeks ago.  Linux ran fine, but
the hardware felt like a piece of junk.  When I figured out how to fix
my current laptop I was happy to return the new one.

I don't think it's the same machine, however.

Before I bought it I can to FRy's with a couple of LIve CDs and tried
them out.  No one there complained about me rebooting the laptops onto
the CDs.  Knoppix let me try out every thing on the laptop before I
bought.

Michael