[ale] U.S. National Identity Cards All But Law

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sat May 7 01:35:18 EDT 2005

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 18:52 -0400, Randal Jarrett wrote:

<<snip>>
> Unfortunately for us (US Americans), the rfid chip makers flourish
> elsewhere.  Give this some thought:  Other than farm products what
> physical products does America really produce these days?

Well, lawyers are physically present, so I suppose you could argue that
they represent physical products... but I digress.

Last I heard, the US is not self-sufficient in food stuffs, and hasn't
been for a number of years. Pharmacueticals also have a negative trade
balance. In the past four or five years (I haven't been paying attention)
bulk chemicals have gone into a negative trade balance, which I think was
the LAST item of commerce to do so. If I am correct, chemicals had run a
trade profit consistently since the federal government started tracking
such back in the 1920's(?). The US was a producer in almost every economic
catagory, and has given up position steadily since the'70s. Textiles
started leaving then, basic steel died mid-late decade although part of
that may be due to the depletion of the Massabe Range as well as other
problems. Seems like it was the mid to late '80s that much of the chip
fabrication moved overseas. Heavy equipment like earthmovers were exported
until about 1980 more than imported, although I think there was a recovery
(short) during the following decade.

Sorry to be so cynical, but I think the only thing the US exports more of
than we import are the US Army and the US Marines.

YMMV, and I hope I'm wrong in a good way somewhere above.