[ale] Q: Enabling VNC into Fedora-C3

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Mar 31 16:57:04 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 16:07 -0500, Brian J. Dowd wrote:
> Make sure that ports 6000-6010 are open in both firewalls. They
> sequentially represent the virtual terminals.

I don't think that's correct. 6000 is the X port. VNC ports are 5800+
and 5900+ . 5800 is for the java/http server built into the vncserver,
and 5900+ is the vncviewer direct port. The "+" is used here to indicate
that the effective screen number is summed with the base port number.
For a windows  (M$) system that can't understand multiple users and
multiple screens, that  number is a "0" (like the IQ of a ....
nevermind :) while *nix systems can use multple instances thus having
multiple ports open at once.