[ale] [OT] VoIP recommendations

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Mar 31 15:06:05 EST 2005

Michael B. Trausch wrote:

> Hey, I know that there was a meeting on this, but I am looking at
> getting away from my cell phone and I was thinking about going to a
> landline, but I think I'd rather go with VoIP given all of it's advantages.

I'm not sure I understand getting rid of your cell phone, you have dsl
in your car? :)

> Having looked through, I thought that this was something that was
> discussed on the mailing list, but I can't seem to find it in the
> archives.  I know that at the meeting people were saying to avoid
> Vonage.  Other then the 911 issues it experiences, I'm not sure why it's
> such a "bad" thing.
>
> Can anyone that currently has VoIP tell me the best place to go in terms
> of what they'd recommend and why?  Just curious.  Thanks.

I'm using vonage.  I went with them because another ale member got a
referral for it.  It just works.  I've had a few outages which did not
last very long.  The downside is, you'll have a hard time getting to
anyone on the phone.

--
Until later, Geoffrey