[ale] Upgrading Red Hat 6.2 and Netscape 4.72

Roger Hammons egorra at attglobal.net
Tue Mar 29 16:17:33 EST 2005

I'm a new subscriber to this list.  Please be patient and forgive any
faux pas.

Also, I've been in the weeds and woods for several years.  I'm currently
running
Red Hat 6.2 (kernel 2.2.14-5.0) on a Pentium 166.  Everything works fine
(so I've
been lazy and haven't kept up), EXCEPT that now I need to upgrade from
Netscape
4.72 to a more recent browser to access many web sites.

I bought Firefox - the readme on the CD says it needs R.H. ver 7.x.  The
download
Netscape 7.2 info says it needs a Pentium 233.  I looked at the Opera
web site -
I can't tell what hardware / Linux it requires - it only mentions a C++
library and
something about 'X11R6.3+' (?).

Question #1: Does anyone have experience with these or other newer
browsers and an
older Linux?  Are these requirements really necessary?  Any ideas or
suggestions
about installing one of these browsers over my current Linux?

Re: upgrading Linux: I've read a little about Fedora Core (3?), but I
don't know if
I can or should or how I could (easily? or is that too much to ask?)
upgrade over
my R.H. 6.2.  I've seen the SuSE 9.2 box at MicroCenter and read that
some people
like it, but I'm not sure if I should or need to change brands and start
over.

Question #2: Does anyone have advice or suggestions about upgrading to a
newer Linux?

If these questions aren't pertinent for the group, I'd welcome direct
email replies
or my Atlanta phone number if that seems better (I drink beer and I'm
willing to buy
a few rounds if that helps).

Roger H.,  egorra at attglobal.net