[ale] SMP support for CentOS 4.0 i386

Jonathan Rickman jrickman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 12:36:36 EST 2005

> Not really. Consider my 4-way Opteron (ironically, a Sun v40z) running
> RHEL 3 AS. Premium support for it is about $1200 / year. Solaris 10
> Premium support for that would be $1440 list (so far it doesn't look
> like there will really be discounts for Solaris 10 software only support,
> unlike for SunSpectrum support). Or a 2-way Dell PowerEdge 2850 running
> RHEL - RH standard support was about $550, Sun Standard would be $480.
> About the only server tier where Solaris support is noticeably cheaper is
> 1-way boxes, and who uses those anymore?

Interesting. I'm seeing $1449 for RHAS and $749 for RHEL. I'm not
familiar with the renewal rates after the first year, so maybe that's
what you were quoting. However, I am fully aware that if you do not
renew, your access to security fixes is cut off. I believe RH is
actually the only OS on the planet with such a policy.

I think it wil be quite interesting to see this coming battle take
shape. I predict we will see many of the same arguments that were used
against Linux 5 years ago hurled at OpenSolaris...probably with the
sole exception being the scalability argument. Indeed, it is already
starting. Meanwhile, Apple is quietly advancing.

--
Jonathan