[ale] Mysterious hang

Michael Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 08:55:29 EST 2005

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:40:36 -0500, David Corbin <dcorbin at machturtle.com> wrote:
> I have a headless server that I don't use too much.  Apparently, it had a
> problem. I could ping it, but ssh to it would just hang.  After giving it a
> hard reset, it seems fine.  But the logs have a "5 day gap".
>
> Should this happen again, any ideas on how to find the actual problem?
> Anything I should do in advance?

Hrm.

Perhaps userland took a dump... I'd say that perhaps you might want to
conjure up a script that would check it more "intimately" - say by
attempting to pipe something into Telnet and getting a desired
response, or doing the same for SSH.  In fact, SSH would probably be
better, have user "verify" ssh over with a key - no logging in
overhead for the script - and execute a test command of some sort and
check for the desired result.  If that doesn't work, notify someone,
somehow.

-- Mike

--
M. B. Trausch      http://fd0man.theunixplace.com/