[ale] Blacklisted mail server?

Nathan J. Underwood ale1 at cybertechcafe.net
Fri Mar 18 15:00:21 EST 2005

A client of mine has recently started using Cbeyond as their ISP.  Since
the cutover, they've had problems sending emails to random domains.
After digging around a bit, I've found that they seem to be blacklisted.
    The error messages that the users are getting were pretty generic,
so I started digging further.  My first move was to ping the server
reported as the primary MX for the recipient (got a response).  I then
tried to telnet to the mail server (i.e. telnet mail.server.net 25), and
got an immediate connection refused.  I then tried the same exercise
from my ip (not blacklisted), and was able to connect.  They're not an
open relay, and I've not been able to find any lists that their listed
on.  Anyone got any suggestions on where to look next?

registered linux user # 73046