[ale] Hopefully not spam, Atlanta pre startup idea

Michael Mealling michael at neonym.net
Thu Mar 10 10:10:42 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 09:02 -0500, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> This is where the real need is. Someway to integrate the backend
> bookkeeping, POS and web sales. SQL-Ledger is a solid base for the
> bookkeeping. It's POS is needs work and the code to integrate it with
> Interchange is horribly outdated.
>
> Most SMB's seem to just want "something that works reliably and can be
> added to later without duplicating all the prior work".

Hence the reason many SMBs use Quickbooks since the add-ons have gotten
significantly better over the past few years. There are CRM, POS, etc.
Plus the tax addon is one of the best. To do the accounting core takes
significantly knowledge of tax consequences since lots of SMBs 'trust'
the tax advice they get from Intuit. Their weakest spot is still
inventory, though.

> CRM and ERP smell more like dotcom buzzwords. If one is truly interested
> in seeing what this all looks like glued together, go look at compiere.

Well, CRM isn't and ERP is a term not really applicable for SMBs. ERP is
a term usually reserved for SAP R3 and its ilk.

Now if you're interested in supply chain and asset management for the
SMB, get in touch with me since that's what I'm building:
http://refactored-networks.com/

Especially if you have any semantic web or XMPP experience. We're still
in seed stage so money is still crazy tight.

-MM

--
Michael Mealling <michael at neonym.net>