[ale] Failsafe configuration changes?

John Cole jcole at filink.com
Tue Mar 8 11:21:44 EST 2005

Howdy all!

I'm just wondering, is there a way to make configuration changes (ie,
IP/Netmask/Gateway/Routes) more failsafe?

We have some linux based appliances that we manage at some client sites.  If
we need to change the IP/etc. for any reason, we are trusting that it will
work.  So far this hasn't really been a problem but we will be expanding the
total number of appliances we manage and would like to lessen this risk.

Does anyone know of any tools that monitor changes to the ifcfg-eth? and
network files so that if they are changed it will require an OK on next
reboot or it will revert back to the previous and/or failsafe configuration
and reboot again to reset back to a working config?

Thanks,
John Cole

This email and any files transmitted with it are solely intended for the use of the
addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential and privileged. If
you receive this email in error, please advise us by return email immediately.
Please also disregard the contents of the email, delete it and destroy any copies
immediately.