[ale] Switching from KDE to Gnome

ringo ringo at margaritasrus.com
Wed Mar 2 22:39:28 EST 2005

Thanks, I'll dig around in Yast for a while. Here is why I'm talking
about switching to Gnome.
I'm working on a robot that is controlled by a laptop via the serial
port. I'm writing the code in C. I would like to start doing some basic
graphics so I can draw a mp of where the robot has been. Just grids or a
2d array of rectangles, that sort of thing. Since I have a lot of stuff
already written in C I would rather not switch langs to python or
something and have to start over. I have a book called "Beginning Linux
Programming" That covers TCL, perl, etc. The only thing I have seen so
far that is in C if Gnome-GTK. The book says you have to be running
gnome to use it. I tried compiling a sample program from a KDE terminal
window and it could not find things like gnome.h.
So, I'm assuming I need to use gnome for this to work, is this correct?
Is there another easy way to do some easy graphics and Gui stuff? I'm a
hardware guy, not a programmer so the easier the better.
Thanks
Ringo