[ale] running proftpd as a child of xinetd

joh6nn joh6nn at hotpop.com
Tue Mar 1 01:15:15 EST 2005

Dow Hurst wrote:
> sgi fam is the File Alteration Monitor and is a RPC service.  Looks like
> the pmap_set message is a portmapper failure to set the address for
> sgi_fam.  Are you starting up rpcbind/portmapper daemon properly?  Also,
> make sure you can telnet to the  port your after since you may have a
> firewall rule blocking your connection inadvertently.  I'd double check
> the firewall rules first.
> Dow

well, i know the firewall's not an issue since this worked fine when
proftpd was standalone.  and i haven't messed with rpcbind/portmapper at
all, so unless trying to move proftpd to xinetd caused some news-to-me
side-effect, then that's exactly as it was when i was running proftpd as
standalone (i should point out that, since i've only the vaguest of
ideas what either of those do, for all i know, "as it was" could mean
off or broken).

supposing rpcbind/portmapper isn't running properly, how would i know,
and how would i fix it?

--joh6nn