[ale] OT: Calculating PC power consumption

vf5 at plm.gatech.edu vf5 at plm.gatech.edu
Wed Jun 29 15:42:56 EDT 2005

If you want to be exact, then use a Kill-a-Watt or "Watts Up?"
meter on your PC's. You plug into this device and the LCD can
show you current Watts used. If left connected, you can get
a readout after X days of how many KWhs consumed. You can also
set the $/KWh on mine, and it will tell you how much it has
cost to run that appliance.

Some that I have measured:
Tower with Celeron 1.1 oc'd to 1.4: ~ 80 Watts
Old PII-333: ~ 35 Watts
Shuttle SV-24 with C3-800 CPU and laptop drive: ~ 20 Watts