[ale] [OT] NeoOffice/J (OO port) official / stable released

aaron aaron at pd.org
Fri Jun 24 13:14:35 EDT 2005

Slightly OT...
but for the ALE Linux fans who may also be running Free BSD via Mac OSeX:  ;-)

There is an independent project that has employed Java to port OpenOffice into
a more "native" Mac form. The free (speech & beer), OSS package is called
NeoOffice/J.

The developers have just released their first official, stable version,
NeoOffice/J 1.1, which is based on and compatible with OpenOffice 1.1.4.

See <http://www.neooffice.org/> for info and download mirror links.

[.02]
For more than a year I've been running OpenOffice on my 10.2 and 10.3 OSeX
boxes via Apple's provided Xwindows installations. For the most part this has
been a stable and functional setup, though I have had to be "creative" in
working around some color printing issues (with thanks for PDF).

A few months back I started testing out NeoOffice/J release candidates on a
couple of the Mac's I admin and have been very happy with it. Having the more
direct integration with the Mac environment makes using the OpenOffice suite
much more convenient, and the NeoOffice/J  port has also addressed the color
printing issues I was having.

The stable release does seem, at least for the days I've spent working with
the Writer portion, quite stable and complete, and I highly recommend
checking out NeoOffice/J as a solid option for running the OpenOffice suite
on Mac OSeX.

peace
(because the only secure nation is a nation at peace)
aaron