[ale] IPSec client for Linux?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 14 17:07:15 EDT 2005

I've have used the Linux version of CiscoVPN with good success.

I am presently using vpnc (open source) as it lets me manually control
routes that CiscoVPN forces on me.  For instance, at work the network in
France is 192.168.84.0, but that is the same for me somewhere else.  So
if I use CiscoVPN then I am forced to change my home and other places to
use networks not used at work.  With vpnc all I have to is add routes
(even /32s) to the tun0 device for the subnets that I want routed over
the vpn.  One thing to know if you plan on using vpnc: if you don't know
your IPSec group "secret" (password) for your VPN, just cut-copy-paste
the encrypted "enc_GroupPwd" from your .pcf file into this form and it
will decrypt it for you:
http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~massar/bin/cisco-decode

hth,

-Jim P.