[ale] Widescreen TV vs Widescreen LCD

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Jun 11 22:37:41 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 22:03 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> OK, I am behind the times when it comes to TVs. ;-)  I have a valid
> excuse in that until this year I was rarely home long enough to turn the
> TV on.  So, now that I am home more, it is time to upgrade the TV
> screen.  So, what are my options for using a Widescreen computer LCD
> instead of your run-of-the-mill HDTV?   Is there a cost savings?  Is
> there higher resolution?  Is there any benefit at all?

Unless you like to watch DVD's in widescreen format the extra screen
real estate is not worth the cost. There is _still_ nothing on TV worth
watching. HDTV would be nice if the set had a way to automatically
detect the (more frequent and more obnoxious) commercials and lower the
volume automatically.

Do you REALLY want to watch 30+ reality-tv shows in widescreen HTDV?

<shudder>