[ale] Speedfactory Downloads

Nathan J. Underwood ale1 at cybertechcafe.net
Sat Jun 11 14:57:12 EDT 2005

Has anyone else had trouble downloading large files?  I have the
Speedfactory Platinum DSL (3MB down).  Most of the time, anything that I
download is relatively small (RPM's, email, etc.), but occasionally I
download larger files (ISO's).  Several times, when I've tried to
download ISO's (via HTTP or FTP), they just stop downloading.  I've
tried using Firefox (on Linux and Win32), gFTP, command line ftp (Linux
and Win32), ncftp, and filezilla, and I've tried from a number of
mirrors.  Each time, it stops at the exact same point (this time,
1.7MB).  Regardless of the client, it will get to 1.7MB, and just stop
downloading (the download rate will start going down until it eventually
reaches 0).  I can log into one of our webservers and download it [to
there] via ftp with no problem, and then I can scp it from the webserver
to my local machine.  I know the following:
 - My Internet connection is up (because my IM client [gaim] would
complain loudly if it was not)
 - My Internet connection is still fast (per dsltestspeed.com, I've got
2.4MBs down and 279.1kbps up, with a bittorrent download going [which
seems to work])
 - There is sufficient space on the target drive (~300GB avail, 700MB file)
 - The ftp server isn't down (because I can download from it to my
webserver)

Has anyone else experienced this, or have any idea what may be causing
it?  For most of my ISO downloads I can get around it by using
bittorrent, but it's caused a problem with yum from time to time
(glibc-common).