[ale] Opening a webpage with a password?

Anonymous Coward jasonrsmith75 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 10 00:14:44 EDT 2005

Hi,

--- "Robert L. Harris" <Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net>
wrote:

>   I'm messing with automating a website login.  I'm
> trying to connect to a
> site that requires a Login/Password form when I
> connect using firefox.
> I tried using
> "http://user@pass:site.com/internalpage.php" but
> firefox
> just says that the site doesn't require auth then
> gives me the original
> page with a form.  Anyone have a suggestion on how
> to automate this?  I
> have to load the page regularly but the main page
> has too many freaking
> graphics/flash, etc on it.

It sounds like this is a regular web form with the
credentials being sent over as either a GET or a POST
request.
If so, you will need to find the value of the action
and the method attributes of the form.

Your script needs to make either a GET or a POST
request (depending on method) to the url specified in
the action attribute (after adjusting for a relative
path if any)

If you plan to do this via a browser by typing a URL
... the server side processing element needs to accept
a GET request (which is unusual for an auth form
handler)

If you just need some tool to do this .. I have found
Microsoft Fiddler very useful to construct custom http
packets (only http:// urls. No support for https:// ).
This is a free download.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,