[ale] klogd and syslogd hanging

Dow_Hurst dhurst at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 8 12:27:23 EDT 2005

Googling didn't yield much to help with this specific problem.  Noticed that kernel 2.0.x had some tty error messages, but that is back in 1998!  I did notice that syslog 1.4.1 is pretty static for the past year or so as the current version used in suse.  At this point, I'm just trying to recover control so have commented out the line dealing with outputting to tty10 in syslog.conf.  If I can find out how to force the current syslogd to exit without rebooting, I'll recover control.  It won't respond to SIGKILL or SIGTERM.  I wasn't able to switch init levels either on Monday when I started working on second occurence.  I ended up hard rebooting.  Good thing I had Reiserfs on the RAID array!  I don't want to do that again if I can prevent it.  This syslogd error has now appeared three times.

How do kill or flush a queue for a tty?  Is that even possible?
Dow