[ale] Question: Transparent document sharing over the Internet

Jason Smith jasonrsmith75 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 7 14:39:36 EDT 2005

Hi all,

This is not strictly a Linux question as much as a
general technology question.

Problem : Transparent document sharing

1. I have a few colleagues who often travel to client
sites.
2. While away and also while in the office, they
create documents on their (Windows) laptops.
3. I would like to set things up so that the latest
version of project related documents on their laptops
are available to the rest of the (local) team.
4. It would be best if this happened
transparently/automatically ;as requiring someone to
manually check in their documents does not seem to be
effective.
5. While working on their laptop they are not always
connected to the Internet ... so the synchronization
mechanism needs to occur whenever they do connect to
the Internet.

Solutions
1. I was thinking of simple solutions like a script
that woke up every 5 mins and would scp the documents
over / send an email with the document as an
attachment and so on.

Are there more elegant non-obstrusive ways of doing
this ?

Thanks
Coward