[ale] Binary Matching

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Jun 6 14:59:29 EDT 2005

Mister Anonymous wrote:
> The problem about cmp is that it just does a strait compare.  I need
> to find out whether a particular binary section has been embedded
> anywhere in another particular binary.  I will have the offset from
> the first binary to get the (binary) string that I am going to be
> searching for, but I will not know where in the second binary that
> (binary) string will be.

Disregard my previous brainless post.

man grep

  If  the  first  few bytes of a file indicate that the file contains
binary data, assume that the file is of  type  TYPE.   By default,  TYPE
  is  binary,  and grep normally outputs either a one-line message
saying that a binary file matches, or no  message  if  there  is  no  match.

--
Until later, Geoffrey