[ale] Debian 3.0 as a server platform?

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Fri Jun 3 08:15:17 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 07:32:58AM -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> I don't know that it is psychotic.  Virtually all distros have their
> stable releases (RH Enterprise, Mandrake) and their bleeding edge
> versions (Fedora, Mandrake Cooker).  This is a good thing.

The Fedora bleeding edge equivalent to Mandrake Cooker is Rawhide.  Even
Deb Unstable isn't anywhere near as bleeding edge as those two. FC
releases are every six months and are stabilized snapshots of Rawhide,
supported for roughtly a year after release.  Mandrake has a similar
release policy for their distro.

If you were to perform installs of all three "bleeding edge" distros
(Rawhide, Cooker, Deb Unstable) you could end up with different installs
over the course of a day or two as the backend repositories are updated.
There's no expectation of support or ABI compatibiltiy or anything,
which makes it rather hard to support...

This is why distros freeze and spit out releases.

The two main differences between RHEL and Fedora are that RHEL
guarantees ABI compatibility for the entire support cycle of the
release, five years in RHEL's case.  The release cycle is also
considerably longer as a result of the necessary stability and
verification testing -- it's not so much to fix all of the bugs, but to
be aware of the quirks of the system and expect them to not change out
from underneath you.

RHEL's policy is sort of similar to Deb Stable.  -unstable/-testing are
sorta similar to cooker/rawhide.  Fedora/Mandrake's mainstream distros
fall much closer to the -stable side of things.  They just use different
philosophies and release criterion (eg frequency, fewer platforms) to
put them together.

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy        				 ICQ: 1318344